Friday, May 23, 2008

Shutter Painting

Two Worlds

I'm reading Bryan Peterson's new book, Understanding Shutter Speed. In it he mentions a technique he sometimes calls "shutter painting". Basically, it is using a long shutter speed of about a second or so, and jiggling, spinning, rotating, zooming or otherwise moving the camera. This can give you some interesting abstract images if you're lucky. If not, then you only looked crazy in front of your friends for a couple of minutes. Anyway, here are a few more after the jump.



Water Color

Ice Crystals

Sunbeams

Hurricane

Take-Off!

There are some more over on my Zenfolio Gallery.

5 comments:

John Brainard said...

re: "If not, then you only looked crazy in front of your friends for a couple of minutes."

Thank you for the laugh! And a fun idea to try out.

Craig Lee said...

Anytime. If we can't laugh at ourselves, then who can we laugh at?

John Brainard said...

You make a great point!

I had a fun outing with a friend from Church a few weeks ago. We went to one of the state forests in Central NY. Walking down the trail to the pond, I spotted a downed tree across the trail. I noted the perfect photo opportunity and told my friend to take a shot.

Craig Lee said...

Cool shot. I think the horizon is crooked though. ;)

John Brainard said...

I guess that's what happens when you try to align your shot with the crooked nutjob hanging upside down from a tree! :)

I forgot to mention... those shutter painting photos are really cool. I'm going to have to give it a try soon.