Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Scale (Part 1)

George and the Car

Sometimes I find it difficult to convey a sense of scale in landscape photographs. The most common method of doing so is to place something familiar in the frame as a reference. Since, I'm still hesitant to take photographs of strangers, providing that sense of scale by including people in the photograph generally doesn't happen. However, while photographing George Washington's profile at a scenic stop, I realized that I could include a car as a reference scale.

It is not what I would consider the best image that I have from this particular location. On the other hand, it is the one that conveys the scale of the Mount Rushmore monument the best of all of the images that I took that day.

Keep shooting.

2 comments:

Pixel Peeper said...

OK - one question came to mind after looking at this scene: how many rocks were in your luggage on the flight back?

;-)

Craig Lee said...

None. I've got a big enough rock collection as it is. ;-) Plus, we drove out there instead of flying.