Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Past Month

Howdy.

It's been awhile, huh?

This past month I've been fighting a corneal abscess due to an eye infection / irritation. It started the week of Christmas just after I had a bad cold. I have had similar symptoms the past couple of years, but previously they had always gone away in a week or so. This time it wouldn't go away. It took awhile to get in to see my doctor because of the holidays and the week everything was closed down from the big snow we had in early January. My doctor referred me to an ophthalmologist who has had me on eye drops and an antibiotic ointment gel with almost weekly visits to monitor the condition. Today's appointment was quite good and it looks like it is finally healing properly and it should be behind me soon.

As a result of this, I haven't been taking any photographs. The times that I have had similar symptoms in the past where all after long days with the camera. So, I didn't want to do anything to irritate it further. I do have a few photographs to process from the big snow we got, so hopefully I can get some of those up by the end of the week.

The ophthalmologist told me that this can be a recurring condition, particularly in the Spring and Summer which is when I had had the symptoms in the past. But now I know what to be aware of, and he gave me some advice on how to prevent it.

As they say, "that's life".

Keep shooting.

2 comments:

Pixel Peeper said...

Funny how real life sometimes just interferes with our plans!

Glad to hear you are healing and know how to prevent it. It must have been quite scary the first time this happened. Anything unusual relating to your eye sight would be pretty frightening.

Now I'm looking forward to your snow pictures.

Craig Lee said...

Thanks, Pixil.

It wasn't scary so much as uncomfortable. I could see, albeit sensitive to light and itching / tearing-over. To be honest it was more scary in the ophthalmologist's chair the first visit when he was dictating his measurements to his assistant. I thought I had something stuck in my eye or something.