Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Great Scot! Parade

Spectators

I know it was quite on the blog here last week. I apologize for that, but I was getting ready for something. Now that it is finished and have approval to post the photographs, I can finally talk about it here on the blog.

More after the jump.

A couple of weeks ago, I was contacted about permissions to use some photographs that I took at last year's Greenville Scottish Games in this year's program. I thought it would be a good opportunity, so I agreed. However, it didn't end with just those photographs. I was also selected to be one of their volunteer photographers for this year's event. More importantly, this year the Greenville Scottish Games had a major VIP ... His Royal Highness, Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex. It is the first time that a member of the British Royal Family has visited a Scottish/Highland Games in the US, perhaps even outside of Scotland. It also marked the first visit of a member of the Royal family to South Carolina and the Upstate. To top if off, I was the "Principal" photographer for the Games tasked with documenting the Prince's visit to the Parade as well as the Games. Needless to say, it was an exciting opportunity.

The Festivities started Friday night with the Great Scot! Parade in downtown Greenville. The review stand was in front of City Hall which ironically put Prince Edward directly across from a local hot dog restaurant called "The Hot Dog King". I thought it was quite humorous placement. The parade itself was fun to cover. All of the clans attending the games were present, as well as all of the pipe-and-drum bands. There were also various other dignitaries, Miss Teen South Carolina, Miss South Carolina, all of the current Miss South Carolina contestants, and finally Miss America.

How often am I going to get to cover an event with a member of the Royal Family and Miss America?

The photograph above shows just a few of the many spectators that lined the streets early to see the parade.

I am still excited about this past weekend.

Keep shooting.

No comments: